STOP Nail Biting, for Good!
How-to Break a Nail Biting Habit!
Stop nail biting, for good!
Bitten nails are not a pretty sight, but nail biting side effects aren’t just cosmetic. Repeated nail biting can irritate skin around your nails and even damage the tissue that makes nails grow well. And passing germs from your mouth to your fingers and vice versa is never a good idea.
Nail biting is a tough habit to break, and some people find it nearly impossible to do so. One solution that has worked for many nails biters is to make nails impossible to chomp on, by covering them with imPRESS Press-on nails. Dermatologists at the AAD (American Academy of Dermatology) also recommend the following tips:
1. Keep your nails trimmed short: Having less nail provides less to bite and is less tempting.
2. Apply bitter-tasting nail polish to your nails: Available over-the-counter, this safe, but awful-tasting formula discourages many people from biting their nails.
3. Get regular manicures: Spending money to keep your nails looking attractive may make you less likely to bite them. Alternatively, you can also cover your nails with tape or stickers or wear gloves to prevent biting.
4. Replace the nail-biting habit with a good habit: When you feel like biting your nails, try playing with a stress ball or silly putty instead. This will help keep your hands busy and away from your mouth.
5. Identify your triggers: These could be physical triggers, such as the presence of hangnails, or other triggers, such as boredom, stress, or anxiety. By figuring out what causes you to bite your nails, you can figure out how to avoid these situations and develop a plan to stop. Just knowing when you’re inclined to bite may help solve the problem.
6. Try to gradually stop biting your nails: Some doctors recommend taking a gradual approach to break the habit. Try to stop biting one set of nails, such as your thumb nails, first. When that’s successful, eliminate your pinky nails, pointer nails, or even an entire hand. The goal is to get to the point where you no longer bite any of your nails.
It will mean so much if you follow us on social! And be sure to check back for weekly blog updates, subscribe to our Mani E-MAIL for access to exclusive offers, and register as an imPRESS VIP for 20% off your 1st purchase, special shipping rates, & much more!