Best Beauty Tips
8 Timeless, Tried & True Beauty Tricks - That Still Work Wonders
By Janene Mascarella
While beauty trends, tools and products have evolved over the years and are constantly changing, some words of wisdom have endured and withstood the test of time. Here are eight great, time-tested beauty tricks that still ring true:
- Brush your hair each night. Grandma’s advice to brush 100 Strokes each night was a little excessive. But, brushing your hair from roots to tips for a few minutes before bed distributes your natural scalp oils and contributes to shiny healthy hair.
- Wear nail color or at least a clear coat to prevent nails from breaking. This holds true more than ever! Better yet, apply press-on nails to instantly give your nails strength.
- De-puff with cucumber. Sure there are tons of pricey products out there that can do this job, but if you chill two slices of cucumber in ice water and place them over your puffy eyes for a couple of minutes, you’ll marvel at the results.
- Wear sunscreen religiously. It seems this has always been highly recommended and knowing what we know today, there is no reason to go without it, period. And it's so much easier now because sunscreens are formulated to be light and easy to apply, sometimes even combined with moisturizers and makeup so there are no excuses not to protect yourself against the damaging UV rays.
- Use two shades of blush. Long before the Kardashians made kissy faces for the camera, iconic movie stars and beauty gurus of the past counted on contour. Movie stars like Grace Kelly were known to use two shades of blush– a darker one underneath the cheekbones and a lighter shade for the apples of the cheeks.
- Don't pump your mascara wand. Yep, your mamma probably told you that and they're still is a very good reason. Pumping introduces air into the tube, literally trapping any bacteria. Instead, twist your mascara brush within the tube or make little circles as you slowly remove the wand from the tube.
- Olive oil is the ultimate beauty elixir. Sophia Loren is a well-known fan, and incorporating olive oil into her routine has long been one of her classic beauty secrets. The time-tested easy to find ingredient is also a mainstay in lots of YouTube DIY beauty recipes today!
- Shave your legs with hair conditioner. This was a smooth move back in the day and the trick definitely still works. If you happen to run out of shaving cream, hair conditioner is a perfectly suitable substitute and it certainly makes your legs feel silky. Some savvy folks actually prefer it!